Race Day & Finish Festival
The What's, How's, and When's
For detailed information on all distance events, please review your Race Weekend Participant Guide when it becomes available in April.
- All marathoners, 21-Milers, Relay runners and 11-Miler runners must take a bus to the start of their event. The bus departure map can be viewed HERE.
- 12K and 5K entrants are responsible for their own transportation to the start. Parking is available in the Crossroads Carmel and Barnyard shopping centers’ parking lots.
- There is water, coffee, fruit and bagels available at most start venues
- The 21-Miler begins at 6:30 AM at Andrew Molera State Park. Click HERE to view the 21-Miler start map.
- The Marathon and Relay begin at 6:45 AM at the Pfeiffer Multi-Use Facility Big Sur Station. The start is in three waves, approximately five minutes apart. Click HERE to view the Marathon start map.
- The 11-Miler starts at 7 AM at Grimes Ranch on Highway 1. Click HERE to view the 11-Miler start map.
- The 12K and 5K begin at 7:35 AM at the marathon finish line at Highway 1 and Rio Road in Carmel. Click HERE to view the 12K/5K start and finish area.
What to Expect
- After crossing the finish line, participants will receive their event medallion, water, and a heat sheet if conditions warrant. Medical personnel will be available.
- MarathonFoto will be on hand to take your finish picture
- After leaving Highway 1, participants will be guided into the food tent and then into the main finish area. RW VIP, Boston 2 Big Sur, and Marathon Tours entrants will exit prior to the food tent and be guided to their own event tents.
- Live music, hot soup, a beer garden (for those 21 and older), a massage tent (marathon only), and a merchandise tent will be available to all finishers.
- Runners and walkers can connect with their families and friends at the Runner Reunion area near the food tent.
- Results will be available HERE as participants cross the finish line and in the Finish Village in the results tents. Results will also be texted to those who supplied a cell phone number during registration. Unofficial results will be published in Monday’s Monterey County Herald.
The Marathon, B2B, and Relay Awards Ceremony begins at 11:30 AM at the same location.
- To be eligible for overall and divisional awards, runners must show a time for all split timing mats located on the course (miles 5, 9.8, 13.15, 15.6, 17, 21.2 and 24). Only 4-person relay teams are eligible for awards.
- Marathon awards go to the top five male and female finishers and the top three masters (age 40+) based on GUN time.
- Divisional (age group) awards go five-deep in five-year incremental age divisions, both male and female, after 16-19, based on CHIP time. Double-dipping IS permitted.
- Special division awards for Monterey County Runner and Active Military go three-deep to both male and female participants.
- Boston 2 Big Sur awards go to the top three open male and female runners and top three masters (age 40+) male and female runners for their combined Boston and Big Sur times.
- Relay awards go to the top three teams in the following divisions. Only 4-person teams are eligible for awards.
- Open Male
- Open Female
- Open Mixed
- Masters Mixed
- Corporate Mixed
- The 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K and 5K are timed events, but there are no overall or divisional awards given.