Things to Know
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENTER THE DRAWING FOR A 2022 MARATHON ENTRY OR THROUGH A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED OPTION:
The Big Sur Marathon has a strict 6-hour finish time limit (chip time). This is a pace of 13:45 per mile for the 26.2 miles (8:33 per km for 42 km). This is required in our permit to use Highway 1 and is non-negotiable. If you want to run our marathon but you believe you may not finish comfortably under six-hours, you may want to consider running our 21-Miler instead.
The Big Sur Marathon features a challenging course with numerous hills, both steep and rolling, and frequent head winds. Many runners consider our race a good 10-20 minutes slower than flatter and less windy events. In addition, many runners stop to take pictures, adding to their times. Plan accordingly with your training and pacing plans.
Marathon runners who do not maintain a 13:45 per mile pace at all times may be removed from the course at any time for safety.
There are time cut-offs along the course based on finishing under six hours. Runners who reach these locations after the posted times will be transported to the finish area and will not receive a finish time or medallion. Those who do not reach mile 15.2 by 10:30 a.m. or mile 21.2 by 11:50 AM will be stopped and transported by bus back to the finish.
Official finish times, medallions, certificates, and post-race refreshments are only available for runners who finish under six hours (chip time).
There are no entry refunds, transfers or deferments. Registration protection is planned to be offered during registration.
If you understand these conditions and are ready to enter for 2022, read on about our random drawing and first-come, first-served options!
2022 Big Sur Marathon Registration
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: 2020 priority registration entrants are invited to sign up for the 2022 event–priority registration is only for those who were entered in one of the canceled 2020 Big Sur Marathon
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: General population can apply for the 2022 marathon random drawing via application process (please note: if you are selected during the random drawing, your credit card will be charged and your entry will be confirmed–do not enter the random drawing if you do not want to run the 2022 Big Sur 26.2-mile marathon)
- 9/7/21: Random drawing winners announced and entries are confirmed
- 11/16/21 – 11/30/21: Second chance marathon drawing with limited space opens for general population
- 12/8/21: Second chance drawing winners announced and entries are confirmed
Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: 2020 Big Sur VIP priority entrants can register for the 2022 event
- 8/23/21: 200 Big Sur VIP entries will be opened to the general public, first come – first served
- 9/13/21: Remaining Big Sur VIP entries will be released to the general public, first come – first served
Learn more about the VIP program HERE.
Marathon Tours & Travel Packages
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages with hotel, and other special benefits including entries to the 2022 Big Sur Marathon as well as Boston 2 Big Sur.
- Fee varies depending on tour package and is determined by Marathon Tours.
- Registration for Marathon Tours entries opens on Monday, August 30th. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Fitness Charity Donation Entry
We also offer a first-come, first-served Big Sur Marathon entry option that is double the standard entry fee with the additional amount serving as a charitable donation to support Monterey County youth fitness.
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: Big Sur Youth Fitness (formerly Just Run) priority registration period for 2020 entrants
- 8/23/21: 200 Big Sur Youth Fitness entries will be opened to the general public, first come – first served. These are guaranteed entries but will go quickly!
- 9/13/21: Remaining Big Sur Youth Fitness entries will be released to the general public, first come – first served
Big Sur Marathon Charity Partners
We partner with more than a dozen charities; each provide a marathon race entry to those who meet the organization’s fund raising goal (minimum fundraising amounts are set by each charity). To view our 2022 charities and get signed up, visit our charity partners page.
Boston 2 Big Sur (B2B) Challenge
- A special division for those who run the 2022 Boston Marathon, scheduled for April 18, 2022, and then the April 24, 2022 Big Sur Marathon six days later!
- Benefits include a unique B2B training shirt and B2B finisher jacket, a custom finisher medallion (along with a Big Sur Marathon medallion) and an exclusive finish hospitality tent with tickets available for purchase for friends and family.
- Click HERE for complete information on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: 2020 Boston 2 Big Sur priority entrants can register for the 2022 event (please note: entrants will be asked to register for the regular marathon and will upgrade into the B2B category after registration is closed for the 2022 Boston Marathon and their registration for that event is official)
- 11/8/21 – 11/12/21: Registration for the 2022 Boston Marathon will take place for time qualifiers through the Boston Athletic Association website (visit www.baa.org for details on how to enter the 2022 Boston Marathon)
- 12/1/21 – 12/5/21: 2020 B2B priority entrants who registered for the 2022 event will be asked to upgrade their entry into the Boston 2 Big Sur category once they have officially been accepted into the 2022 Boston Marathon
- 12/8/21: All remaining B2B entries will be released to the general public, first come – first served
- You do need to be a confirmed entry into the April 2022 Boston Marathon to enter the Big Sur Marathon’s B2B division
Registration for all Non-Marathon Distance Events
Registration details for the Relay, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K & 5K are as follows:
- 8/23/21 – 9/1/21: 2020 Big Sur priority entrants can register for the 2022 event (this is only for those who were registered in one of the canceled 2020 Big Sur Marathon weekend events)
- 9/13/21: Remaining entries for all non-marathon race distances will be released to the general public, first come – first served
- 12/15/21 until sold out: Any remaining entries available at the late fee Please note: this timeline is only representative for non-marathon distance events
Active Military Discount
We are pleased to offer a registration discount for all race categories for active military members. To obtain the discount code, please send an email to email@example.com.
Category Change Fees
- If you have additional questions about registering for any of our April 2022 races, please email firstname.lastname@example.org