Things to Know
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENTER A DRAWING OR THE MARATHON THROUGH A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED OPTION:
There is a strict 6-hour finish time limit (chip time). This is a pace of 13:45 per mile (8:33 per km). This is part of our permit to use Highway 1 and is non-negotiable. If you are close to a six-hour finisher on a flatter course, you may want to consider running our 21-Miler instead of the marathon.
Big Sur is a challenging course with numerous hills and frequent head winds. Many runners consider our race a good 10-20 minutes slower than flatter and less windy events. In addition, many runners stop to take pictures, adding to their times. Plan accordingly with your training and pacing plans.
Marathon runners who do not maintain a 13:45 per mile pace at all times may be removed from the course at any time for safety.
There are time cut-offs along the course based on finishing under six hours. Runners who reach these locations after the posted times will be transported to the finish area and will not receive a finish time or medallion. Those who do not reach mile 21.2 by 11:50 AM will be stopped and transported by bus back to the finish.
Official finish times, medallions, certificates, and post-race refreshments are only available for runners who finish under six hours (chip time).
There are no entry refunds, transfers or deferments. Booking Protect, a third-party insurance policy, will be available for purchase during registration.
If you understand these conditions and are ready to enter for 2019, read on about our first-come, first-served options!
2021 Big Sur Marathon Events
Due to COVID-19 and the postponement of our 2020 race to November 15, we are delaying open registration for our 2021 Big Sur Marathon events. Please check back here in mid-to-late summer for registration opening date and procedures. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Stay safe and stay healthy!
Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE-SOLD OUT!
The 2020 Big Sur VIP experience is SOLD-OUT!. Learn more about the VIP program HERE.
Marathon Tours & Travel Packages
2020 is SOLD-OUT!
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages with hotel, and other special benefits including entries to the open 2020 Big Sur Marathon as well as Boston 2 Big Sur.
- Fee varies depending on tour package and is determined by Marathon Tours.
Learn more HERE.
JUST RUN Charity Donation Entry - SOLD OUT!
The JUST RUN Donation entry option for 2020 is now SOLD-OUT!
Big Sur Marathon Charity Partners
We partner with more than a dozen charities; each provide a marathon race entry to those who meet the organization’s fund raising goal (minimum fundraising amounts are set by each charity).
Boston 2 Big Sur (B2B) Challenge - registration now open!
The registration date for the 2021 Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge is to be determined.
- A special division for those who run the 2020 Boston Marathon and then the 2020 Big Sur Marathon six days later!
- Benefits include a unique B2B training shirt and B2B finisher jacket, a custom finisher medallion (along with a Big Sur Marathon medallion) and an exclusive finish hospitality tent with tickets available for purchase for friends and family.
- Entry fee is $399 for 2020.
- Registration opens on Monday, October 1, at 9 AM PDT following the Boston qualifier entry period. You must be already officially registered in the 2020 Boston Marathon, have invitational status, or planning to enter via a Boston Charity to enter B2B on October 1.
- Click HERE for complete information on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge
Registration for all Non-Marathon Distance Events
Registration date for the 2021 Realy, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K, 5K and 3K is to be determined.