Things to Know
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENTER A DRAWING OR THE MARATHON THROUGH A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED OPTION:
There is a strict 6-hour finish time limit (chip time). This is a pace of 13:45 per mile (8:33 per km). This is part of our permit to use Highway 1 and is non-negotiable. If you are close to a six-hour finisher on a flatter course, you may want to consider running our 21-Miler instead of the marathon.
Big Sur is a challenging course with numerous hills and frequent head winds. Many runners consider our race a good 10-20 minutes slower than flatter and less windy events. In addition, many runners stop to take pictures, adding to their times. Plan accordingly with your training and pacing plans.
Marathon runners who do not maintain a 13:45 per mile pace at all times may be removed from the course at any time for safety.
There are time cut-offs along the course based on finishing under six hours. Runners who reach these locations after the posted times will be transported to the finish area and will not receive a finish time or medallion. Those who do not reach mile 21.2 by 11:50 AM will be stopped and transported by bus back to the finish.
Official finish times, medallions, certificates, and post-race refreshments are only available for runners who finish under six hours (chip time).
There are no entry refunds, transfers or deferments. registration protection will be available for purchase during registration.
If you understand these conditions and are ready to enter for 2022, read on about our first-come, first-served options!
2022 Big Sur Marathon Events
Registration dates and procedures will be available in the summer of 2021.
Marathon entry fees will be announced in June 2021.
Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE
The 2022 Big Sur VIP experience will open regsitration in the summer of 2021. Entry fees will be announced in June of 2021.
Learn more about the VIP program HERE.
Marathon Tours & Travel Packages
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages with hotel, and other special benefits including entries to the open 2022 Big Sur Marathon as well as Boston 2 Big Sur.
- Fee varies depending on tour package and is determined by Marathon Tours.
JUST RUN Charity Donation Entry
Half of each entry fee is a charitable donation to JUST RUN, the Big Sur Marathon’s award-winning youth fitness program. 2022 entry fees to be announced in June of 2021
The registration opening date to be announced in the summer of 2021.
Big Sur Marathon Charity Partners
We partner with more than a dozen charities; each provide a marathon race entry to those who meet the organization’s fund raising goal (minimum fundraising amounts are set by each charity).
Boston 2 Big Sur (B2B) Challenge
The registration date for the 2022 Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge to be announced in the summer of 2021.
- A special division for those who run the 2022 Boston Marathon and then the 2022 Big Sur Marathon six days later!
- Benefits include a unique B2B training shirt and B2B finisher jacket, a custom finisher medallion (along with a Big Sur Marathon medallion) and an exclusive finish hospitality tent with tickets available for purchase for friends and family.
- Entry fee to be announced in June 2021
- Registration opening date to be announced in the summer of 2021
- Click HERE for complete information on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge
Registration for all Non-Marathon Distance Events
Registration date for the 2022 Relay, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K, 5K and 3K to be announced in the summer of 2021.