Things to Know
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENTER A DRAWING OR THE MARATHON THROUGH A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED OPTION:
There is a strict 6-hour finish time limit (chip time). This is a pace of 13:45 per mile (8:33 per km). This is part of our permit to use Highway 1 and is non-negotiable. If you are close to a six-hour finisher on a flatter course, you may want to consider running our 21-Miler instead of the marathon.
Big Sur is a challenging course with numerous hills and frequent head winds. Many runners consider our race a good 10-20 minutes slower than flatter and less windy events. In addition, many runners stop to take pictures, adding to their times. Plan accordingly with your training and pacing plans.
Marathon runners who do not maintain a 13:45 per mile pace at all times may be removed from the course at any time for safety.
There are time cut-offs along the course based on finishing under six hours. Runners who reach these locations after the posted times will be transported to the finish area and will not receive a finish time or medallion. Those who do not reach mile 21.2 by 11:50 AM will be stopped and transported by bus back to the finish.
Official finish times, medallions, certificates, and post-race refreshments are only available for runners who finish under six hours (chip time).
There are no entry refunds, transfers or deferments. Booking Protect, a third-party insurance policy, will be available for purchase during registration.
If you understand these conditions and are ready to enter for 2019, read on about our first-come, first-served options!
Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE-SOLD OUT!
The Big Sur VIP experience is sold-out. Learn more about the VIP program HERE.
Marathon Tours & Travel Packages
Entries available, first-come, first-served
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages with hotel, and other special benefits including entries to the open 2020 Big Sur Marathon as well as Boston 2 Big Sur.
- Fee varies depending on tour package and is determined by Marathon Tours.
Learn more HERE.
JUST RUN Charity Donation Entry
Registration is now open for the JUST RUN Donation entry on a first-come, first-served basis.
Big Sur Marathon Charity Partners
A list of our 2020 Official Charity Partners is now available HERE We partner with more than a dozen charities; each provide a marathon race entry to those who meet the organization’s fund raising goal (minimum fundraising amounts are set by each charity).
Boston 2 Big Sur (B2B) Challenge
The 2020 Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge will open registration on a first-come, first-served basis on October 1, 2019, at 9 AM PDT. Boston 2 Big Sur is presented by HOKA ONE ONE®
- A special division for those who run the 2020 Boston Marathon and then the 2020 Big Sur Marathon six days later!
- Benefits include a unique B2B training shirt and B2B finisher jacket, a custom finisher medallion (along with a Big Sur Marathon medallion) and an exclusive finish hospitality tent with tickets available for purchase for friends and family.
- Entry fee to be determined.
- Registration opens on Monday, October 1, at 9 AM PDT following the Boston qualifier entry period. You must be already officially registered in the 2020 Boston Marathon, have invitational status, or planning to enter via a Boston Charity to enter B2B on October 1.
- Click HERE for complete information on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge
Random Drawings for the Marathon Distance Only
A series of five random drawings for the opportunity to register for the 2020 Big Sur Marathon will begin on July 15, 2019 at 9 AM PDT. Drawing categories include Groups and Couples, Loyalty, Locals, First-Timers and Last Chance.
For more information on the drawings, click HERE.
Registration for all Non-Marathon Distance Events
Registration for the Marathon Relay, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K, 5K and 3K will begin on September 3 at 9 AM PDT on a first-come, first-come basis.