Things to Know
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENTER A DRAWING FOR A MARATHON ENTRY OR THROUGH A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED OPTION:
The Big Sur Marathon has a strict 6-hour finish time limit (chip time). This is a pace of 13:45 per mile for the 26.2 miles (8:33 per km for 42 km). This is required in our permit to use Highway 1 and is non-negotiable. If you want to run our marathon but you believe you may not finish comfortably under six-hours, you may want to consider running our 21-Miler instead.
The Big Sur Marathon features a challenging course with numerous hills, both steep and rolling, and frequent head winds. Many runners consider our race a good 10-20 minutes slower than flatter and less windy events. In addition, many runners stop to take pictures, adding to their times. Plan accordingly with your training and pacing plans.
Marathon runners who do not maintain a 13:45 per mile pace at all times may be removed from the course at any time for safety.
There are time cut-offs along the course based on finishing under six hours. Runners who reach these locations after the posted times will be transported to the finish area and will not receive a finish time or medallion. Those who do not reach mile 21.2 by 11:50 AM will be stopped and transported by bus back to the finish.
Official finish times, medallions, certificates, and post-race refreshments are only available for runners who finish under six hours (chip time).
There are no entry refunds, transfers or deferments. Registration protection is planned to be offered during registration.
If you understand these conditions and are ready to enter for 2022, read on about our first-come, first-served options!
2022 Big Sur Marathon Event Registration
Registration dates and procedures will be available in the summer of 2021 or when an April 2022 appears viable based on the pandemic, widespread vaccine distribution and use, and the ability to to secure a permit with local and state health and public safety agencies.
Marathon entry fees will be announced in the summer of 2021 or when the event appears viable.
Big Sur VIP presented by HOKA ONE ONE
The 2022 Big Sur VIP experience will open registration in the summer of 2021. Entry fees will be prior to opening.
Learn more about the VIP program HERE.
Marathon Tours & Travel Packages
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages with hotel, and other special benefits including entries to the open 2022 Big Sur Marathon as well as Boston 2 Big Sur.
- Fee varies depending on tour package and is determined by Marathon Tours.
JUST RUN Charity Donation Entry
We have traditionally offered a first-come, first-served Big Sur Marathon entry option that was double to standard entry fee with the additional amount a charitable donation to JUST RUN, the Big Sur Marathon’s award-winning youth fitness program. We will update if and/or when this option will be available and the 2022 entry fees hopefully in the summer of 2021
Big Sur Marathon Charity Partners
We partner with more than a dozen charities; each provide a marathon race entry to those who meet the organization’s fund raising goal (minimum fundraising amounts are set by each charity). We will announce our charity partners hopefully in the summer of 2021 when the April 2022 event is viable.
Boston 2 Big Sur (B2B) Challenge
The registration date for the 2022 Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge to be announced in the summer of 2021.
- A special division for those who run the 2022 Boston Marathon, scheduled for April 18, 2022, and then the April 24, 2022 Big Sur Marathon six days later!
- Benefits include a unique B2B training shirt and B2B finisher jacket, a custom finisher medallion (along with a Big Sur Marathon medallion) and an exclusive finish hospitality tent with tickets available for purchase for friends and family.
- Entry fee to be announced in the summer of 2021 when both Boston and Big Sur 2022 races appear viable.
- Registration opening date to be announced in the summer of 2021
- Click HERE for complete information on the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge
Registration for all Non-Marathon Distance Events
Registration date for the 2022 Relay, 21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K, 5K and 3K to be announced in the summer of 2021.