WILL THE BIG SUR MARATHON HAPPEN IN APRIL 2022?
YES! Updated August 2021: As of the summer of 2021, and given California’s current COVID-19 event guidelines, we are opening registration on August 23, 2021 at 9 a.m. Pacific Standard Time with the expectation that the April 22-24, 2022 Big Sur Marathon weekend of events will take place in person.
WHAT ARE THE CURRENT OPTIONS TO GET AN ENTRY IN THE BIG SUR MARATHON?
As of September 14, there are four guaranteed entry marathon options still available. They are all first-come, first-served and will close when full. Here are the options in order of most marathon spots available:
- The Youth Fitness program is double the standard entry fee with the additional amount a tax-deductible contribution to our foundation’s youth running programs including JUST RUN and the new cross country trails at Palo Corona Regional Park in Carmel, Calif.
- The VIP program provides unique items like personal coaching, a heated and lit tent at the start with refreshments, personalized gear check, private start line portos, executive coach start line transportation, a catered finish line tent with a friend and family ticket option, and other unique swag. There are less than 75 VIP slots still available and we expect them to be gone within the next week or two.
- Marathon Tours offers travel packages that include a race entry.
- Fundraise with one of our charity partners. Each charity sets their own fundraising minimum.
Other options include:
- The second chance random drawing that begins in mid-November.
- The Boston 2 Big Sur category for those who are confirmed entrants into next April’s Boston Marathon.
- Our official transfer program, open in mid-December. Those with entries who cannot or choose to not come to the race next April will be offering their entries for sale to others wanting to run. The price is negotiated between the two runners as is the payment method. There is a $20 fee to the person selling the entry. We will have more information about this option in early December.
WHEN WILL REGISTRATION OPEN FOR THE 2022 RACE?
Registration for the 26.2-Mile Big Sur Marathon opened on August 23, 2021. Please see the registration page as well as the pages for each individual distance for more information, deadlines, and entry fees.
WILL 2020 BIG SUR MARATHON ENTRANTS HAVE A SPECIAL ENTRY PERIOD FOR 2022 RACE?
Yes. There will be a special priority registration period for confirmed 2020 entrants to provide them an opportunity to register for the 2022 event before the general public. All April 2020 entrants will be sent an email on August 23rd with a unique registration link allowing them to register for the same event and distance they were registered for in 2020.
We did not defer any general entries from the 2020 race to the 2022 race.
If you were an entrant in the 2020 Big Sur Marathon weekend of events and do not receive your exclusive entry link by August 24-25 or so, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (Be sure and check your SPAM or junk email folder)
If you were an entrant in 2020 with one of our charity partners or Marathon Tours, please contact these organizations directly for more information.
After the priority registration period ends for 2020 entrants, remaining entries will be available to the general public. We anticipate a strong demand and that all races and entry programs will sell out quickly.
IF I WASN'T ENTERED IN 2020 BUT I WANT TO RACE IN 2022, HOW CAN I REGISTER?
For the Big Sur Marathon (26.2-miles), there are several entry options that will open on August 23rd including a random drawing, the VIP program, Marathon Tours, BSMF Youth Fitness, and our charity partners.
Registration opens for our non-marathon distances (21-Miler, 11-Miler, 12K, 5K, and four-person Marathon Relay) on September 13. Visit the registration page for complete details, https://www.bigsurmarathon.org/register/.
ONCE ENTERED, CAN I SWITCH MY REGISTRATION TO A DIFFERENT CATEGORY (UPGRADE/DOWNGRADE)?
HOW MANY ENTRIES WILL YOU ACCEPT IN 2022?
We anticipate accepting full fields for all race distances in 2022, comparable to the 2019 and earlier race weekends. Capacities range from about 550 for the 5K to close to 5,000 for the 26.2-mile marathon. We expect all race distances to fill quickly.
The By-the-Bay 3K will not be held in 2022.
HOW WILL COVID-19 AFFECT THE APRIL 2022 RACE WEEKEND?
- As of the summer of 2021, and given California’s current COVID-19 event guidelines, we are opening registration on August 23, 2021 with the expectation that the April 22-24, 2022 Big Sur Marathon weekend of events will take place in person.
- As race weekend approaches, we will continue to monitor and follow local, state, and federal guidance which may result in enhanced safety precautions.
- At this time, the expectation is that all runners will need to either show proof that they are fully vaccinated or show proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of race day.
- If or when guidance and requirements change, we will provide periodic updates to our 2022 registered participants through email communication and on our website, bigsurmarathon.org.
- If, due to the pandemic, local restrictions prevent us from being able to host an in-person event in April 2022, refunds will not be provided.
WAS THE BIG SUR MARATHON HELD IN 2020 OR 2021?
No. Due to the pandemic, the Big Sur Marathon weekend of races was not held in April 2020 or April 2021. In addition, we canceled our other races, the Run in the Name of Love and the November Monterey Bay Half Marathon, in both 2020 and 2021.
WILL YOU HOLD A VIRTUAL BIG SUR MARATHON IN 2022?
Yes, we do plan to arrange for a virtual option for those unable to travel to the area in April 2022 or who do not get into the in-person event. We will post more information including registration information in January 2022 about a virtual event.
WHERE DO THE ENTRY FEES GO?
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation is a non-profit organization. Our mission is to create beautiful running events that benefit our community. Race entry fees help cover the cost of race production and help our organization provide grants to more than 90 area non-profit organizations throughout the year as well as our free year-round youth fitness programs.
Due to the pandemic, we had no in-person races in 2020 and 2021 and were, therefore, unable to provide any grants in our community in 2020 or in 2021. We are excited to once again support our community in 2022 and beyond as our local partners make our events possible.
How Do I Receive Any Updates on Future Races?
The best way to stay updated about the status of our future events is to add your email address to our mailing list, available at the bottom of the home page at www.bigsurmarathon.org or www.montereybayhalfmarathon,org. Also, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram–see the bottom of the home page for links to our social media pages.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
We appreciate your patience and consideration as our board made many difficult decisions to help our non-profit organization survive during this international crisis. We have survived landslides, bridge collapses, floods, and forest fires though we have had to cancel eight of our races in the last five years. We look forward to providing you another beautiful and safe world-class event in April 2022.
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at the information below.
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation
General email: email@example.com
Office phone (831) 625-6226 (Note that we often work remotely so email is the most effective way to reach us)