THE BIG SURREAL
Welcome to The Big Surreal Virtual Challenge!
The Big Surreal is so much more than a virtual race; it’s a month-long, interactive virtual experience where you’ll be invited to complete a series of challenges and earn awesome swag along the way!
Update 9.17.20: Official Results Deadline Extended to October 31st Due to Wildfires
Thousands of results have already been submitted for The Big Surreal Virtual Challenge, but with wildfire smoke continuing to affect air quality across the Western United States, we have decided to extend the official results submissions deadline to October 31st. That means you will have one extra month to complete the challenges of your choosing and submit official results.
However, in order to avoid delays in swag production and shipment, we still need to know which distances you plan to complete. By September 30th, please enter a predicted finish time for the challenges you intend to complete by the end of October so that we can order and send out swag on time to those who have already submitted final results. Swag earnings will be determined based on September 30th results submissions and estimations.
Registered participants should have received an email with more detailed instructions on how to upload results, etc. To log in to your participant account and submit results, go to: https://manage.hakuapp.com/login/big-sur-marathon-foundation
Registration is NOW CLOSED (As of September 16th) for The Big Surreal. The virtual challenge will take place between September 1st and 30th. The cost to register is $65 for the general public and $55 for April 2020 Big Sur Marathon entrants.
Here’s how it works:
- REGISTER FOR THE BIG SURREAL. Registration is NOW CLOSED.
- COMPLETE BETWEEN ONE AND FIVE CHALLENGES during the month of September. Starting on September 1st, you’ll see five “challenges” appear in your haku registration account. Those challenges are to run a 5K, 12K, 11-Miler, 21-Miler, and Marathon. The more challenges you complete, the more swag you receive (see the grid below to see what you can earn!). We’ll even have personalized, printable bibs for you to wear during each challenge!
- UPLOAD YOUR RESULTS. Starting September 1st, you’ll be able to upload your results via an integration with your wearable device (most devices supported) or enter in your results manually.
- EARN SWAG! Each time you complete a challenge, you’ll earn a digital badge, a finisher’s certificate, and a new swag item (see the grid below for what you can earn!). To get a medal and a shirt, all you have to do is run a 5K! When the challenge ends on September 30th, we’ll tally up your accomplishments and send you one big swag bag with all of your earnings and a handmade medal corresponding to the longest distance you completed. This challenge is open to international participants, but you must have a U.S. address in order to have your medal and swag shipped to you. We are currently unable to ship internationally.
Let us break it down for you:
As long as you complete the 5K challenge, you’ll receive a shirt AND a medal! After that, the more challenges you complete, the more swag you earn. Please note that you will only receive ONE MEDAL – that which corresponds to the longest distance race challenge you complete by the end of the month. All other swag, however, is cumulative!
- 5K Finishers: 2020 Big Sur Marathon shirt from our friends at Recover Brands (unisex and women’s cuts available). Made from 100% recycled materials!
- 12K Finishers: SOCKS! You’ll receive one of four custom Fitsok sweat-wicking sock designs (that’s why we ask for your sock size on the registration form!).
- 11-Miler Finishers: Custom rainbow tie-dye silicone beer pint. These colorful, versatile drinking glasses are as flexible in shape as they are in utility! You deserve a finisher’s beer in this groovy silicone glass!
- 21-Miler Finishers: Custom “The Big Surreal” running gaiter from Recover Brands. Yep, you guessed it – made from 100% recycled materials!
- Marathon Finishers: Woohoo! If you finish the marathon challenge and upload your results, you’ll receive a sturdy, sustainable 2020 tote bag from Recover Brands.
In addition to all the amazing swag you can earn, here’s what else you can expect:
- The first 200 entrants to register will receive a FREE VIP backpack from BOCO Gear in their swag package (ships after Sept. 30th).
- The first 250 local Monterey County participants can claim a FREE Big Sur Marathon pint glass from lululemon Monterey. Simply visit the store and show your confirmation email in order to claim your free Big Sur Marathon pint glass.
- Participants who complete ALL FIVE CHALLENGES will be entered into a drawing to win one of fifty FREE shoe certificates provided by HOKA ONE ONE.
- You’ll receive access to an exclusive Spotify “Big Surreal” playlist created by our friends at Sufferfest Beer Company.
- For local participants, we hope to host a “pick up party” where you can pick up the swag you earned, say ‘hey’ to our staff, and stick around for some fun sponsor experiences. Of course, the viability of a pick-up gathering is pending COVID regulations in our county in early October.
Please note: This challenge is open to international participants, but you must have a U.S. address in order to have your medal and swag shipped to you. We are currently unable to ship internationally.