The Big Sur International Marathon and other distance events take place on Highway 1 on Sunday, April 26, between 6:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. There will be significant travel delays during these hours.
Click HERE to view the Caravan Schedule
RACE PARTICIPANTS & SPECTATORS
- All race participants except those competing in the 12K, Marathon Relay and 5K MUST visit the Transportation Desk at the Health & Fitness Expo to receive a bus ticket specific to the time and location for boarding a bus to the start of their event. Private vehicles may not drive to, park at, or drop off at the marathon, 21-Miler or 11-Miler start lines or relay exchange points.
- The best viewing for spectators is near the finish line on Highway 1 at Rio Road. Parking is available close by at the Crossroads Carmel, Barnyard or Carmel Rancho shopping areas.
- Northbound traffic from Big Sur (including friends and family members of runners who are staying in Big Sur) should leave no later than 5:45 a.m. so that they can arrive at the Rio Road finish prior to 7:00 a.m. when Highway 1is closed to northbound traffic at the Carmel River Bridge. They also have the option of joining the first Northbound Caravan which leaves the marathon start line at 7:20 a.m. See the Caravan Schedule for details.
TOURISTS & TRAVELERS
- Travel to and throughout the Monterey Peninsula will NOT be affected (except for travelers driving north from Big Sur). The best access is via Highway 101.
- Highway 1 south will be closed at Rio Road, just south of Carmel. On race day travelers wishing to head south on the highway on Sunday, April 29, MUST BE south of Otter Cove (approximately 5 miles south of Rio Road) no later than 4 a.m.
- Travelers wishing to head north on the highway on race day MUST BE north of the Carmel River Bridge by 7 a.m.
- If traveling along Highway 1 prior to 1 p.m. is a necessity, there are options to join a “caravan” (a CHP-escorted group of vehicles) on race morning. Click HERE to view the Caravan Schedule.
- SATURDAY MORNING, April 28, there will be street closures in Pacific Grove for the By-the-Bay 3K between 6 and 11 a.m. along Ocean View Blvd. from Fountain Avenue to Coral Street. Alternate routes are available.
LOCAL RESIDENTS & BUSINESSES:
- Monterey Peninsula residents are strongly encouraged to refrain from travel to Big Sur until after 1 p.m. on race day.
- Highway 1 south to the Carmel Highlands will be closed at Rio Road, just south of Carmel, at 7:00 a.m. After 4 a.m. only those with SOUTHBOUND VEHICLE PASSES will be allowed to use Highway 1 south beyond Otter Cove. Big Sur employees needing to travel from the Monterey Peninsula must obtain a southbound vehicle pass (available for pickup from the River Inn in Big Sur).
- Vehicles will be able to travel north from Big Sur and the Carmel Highlands prior to the race start. You must be across the Carmel River Bridge by 7 a.m. (it is recommended that you leave Big Sur prior to 5:45 a.m).
- Carmel Highlands residents will be able to join a caravan beginning at approximately 7:51 a.m. at Palo Colorado Canyon (see caravan schedule for times to join this northbound caravan).
- The first southbound caravan will leave the Crossroads Carmel area at 8:45 a.m. The next northbound caravan will leave from Pt. Sur at 9:50 a.m.
- Please note that ALL CARAVAN TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE and are subject to delays on race day due to unforeseen circumstances (eg., emergency vehicles, weather, etc.).